Thursday, October 9, 2008

Daily News Editorial Board Meeting

If you're as gosh-darned excited about the presidential debates as I am (but, honestly, who could possibly be more excited about them than me?), then you'll find yourself wishing you could see a debate between our local candidates, especially between Peter Martin and Steve Coaty here in the Fightin' 75th.

Well, too bad. Ain't gonna happen.

The best we can manage is watching the editorial board of the Newport Daily News meeting with the candidates on Cox Channel 18. Yeah, it's just not the same. Not even close. Still, you go on the air with the candidate forum you have, not the candidate forum you wish you had. They'll be broadcasting their meetings with candidates for the RI House O' Representatives at 7:00 PM on the evening of Wednesday, October 22. There are four competitive local races, so if they go through them by the numbers, the candidates for the 75th ought to be coming on around 9:30 PM.

Judging by the number of yard signs for Peter I've seen around town lately, there is no doubt in my mind he would have kicked my ass on September 9. So, watching this thing on television is probably the closest I'll ever come to being grilled by Sheila Mullowney and company.

Life is just full of disappointments.

1 comment:

Peter Martin said...

Tom

We first met at a political rally a few years ago. I respected your enthusiasm then and I still do.

Meeting you again during the primary was a pleasure. I feel that I gained a friend from the experience. I appreciate seeing you walking your dogs and wearing a 'Peter Martin' campaign button.

Please keep up your interest in local political issues. Please feel free to post your opinions on this blog and feel free to call me with any of your concerns.

Remember some advice that I have gotten: 'Yard signs do not vote'.

I still need your support and the support from those who believe with my local upbringing and my experience on local issues, that I can better represent the constituents of District 75.

My campaign committee has named me 'The Candidate of the People'. I think that you understand why.

Thank you for your continued support.

Let's get more people talking on the RIPTA plans to cut bus service from and to, as well as, within Newport.

My opponent seems to think that the trolleys are bill boards. Does he know how important they are to the local economy.

If you can't move the people, you can't move the economy.

Peter Martin