Thursday, July 10, 2008

Is Our Children Learning?

When I dropped in on a block party on the 4th of July, one of the people attending asked me what my position on education was. I couldn't tell her then, but now I can tell you: I don't have one.

Let's face it: education is a hugely complicated issue. There's the federal Department of Education, the Rhode Island Department of Education, Congressional committees, state committees, and 39 local school boards. There are unions, state agencies, commissions, study groups, nonprofit groups, reports, programs, and on and on and on. It would be the work of a lifetime to master all this stuff.

One of the advantages of having a legislature is that different members can concentrate on different subjects. My own interests tend towards immigration policy, energy policy, LGBT issues, and privacy issues. At this point, all I can say on the subject of education is that if I'm elected, I'll keep an open mind and use my own judgment.

UPDATE: Per Nomi's request in the comments, the source for the title of this post is Governor G. W. Bush, during a campaign stop in Florence, South Carolina on January 11, 2000.

1 comment:

Nomi said...

"Is Our Children Learning?" is a quote from our Resident G. W. Bush, right?

Let's give credit where credit is due.

I'll try to find the link. I know it's on Snopes somewhere.